1st Grade R4 v New Town


Glenorchy 6/ 221

D. Anderson 61
L. Reynolds 54
B. Absolom 32
N. Butterworth 22
Richie Dilger 13*
T. Penneyston 6*

def New Town 8/ 203

N. Butterworth 3/ 40 (10)
T. LeRossignol 2/ 20 (7)

The Norchy Boys had our first dose of Sunday cricket for the season as we backed up against New Town to make up for the Round 4 washout earlier on in the season.

For the 2nd time the Brian Eade Cup was at stakes and the boys were up and about the retain it. For the older guys we thought we had retained it back on the 22nd of November when the round was initially washed out so we headed down to celebrate at the Wagon and did so by having a dozen beers each (Egg 37 beers), and a meal (Egg 13 meals).

Liam (Ballbag) Reynolds returned to the team after 2 hours sleep at the expense of Nathan (Bones) Philip who left for Perth with the Tasmanian U17 team.

The toss was held off for a while as right on the sceduled toss time, opposing skipper Tim Macdonald chipped a toenail putting his sock on, and the Bucks were forced to head into the game without him. Weg replaced Macca as captain and we won the toss and had a bat on what looked to be a flat wicket with more grass and bounce than a normal KGV strip.

Robbie (The oldest of the 16 Dilgers) banged a couple early before nicking out to Benny Smith with the score on 16. Abbo and I then went about building a partnership and seeing off the quicks and got the score up to 73 before Abbo was run out by his captain for a well made 32. Matty Digs was unable to continue his recent brilliant form with the stick, which brought a dusty glass eyed Ballbag Reynolds to the crease. We pushed the score up to 152 before I went, with Ballbag continuing on smashing the ball to all parts for a well made run a ball 54.

Ballys dad Les who has drove down from Launceston this year to witness 3 washouts and 2 separate Ducks by his boy, was quoted after the game as saying "It was good to see my boy make more than 0 for the first time, I had been telling my work mates I didnt have a son for the last 3 months, so I guess its good I can claim him again".

Chimes, Penny and Rich finished the innings off well and we finished a competitive 6/221 off our 50 overs.

(Soggys Boy) Trent (Dicky Knee) Le Rossignol got us away to a flyer with 2 early wickets with the score at only 15.

We were looking great guns as we continued to bowl well to have the Bucks 4/54 after 19 overs. Micky Peters and Nos went about a recovery mission and looked to have taken the game away from us as they piled on 104 for the 5th wicket.

Brad Absolom became the unlikely partnership breaker when he picked up Peters with his handy off spinners, in a 4 over spell which changed the game back in our favour. Chimes was again the pick of the bowlers with a handy 3/40 off his 10 whilst both Westy and Goose went for less than 3 an over. Bally teamed up with Chimes to bowl at the death and they did it brilliantly to get us over the line by 18 runs for our first win of the season!

We got the team song out pretty well considering about 8 players had never sung it before and the lads all hung around for a beer and a feed and celebrated retaining the Brian Eade Cup.

Obviously club coach Brodie Philip didnt hang around as the sour wrinkly old man collected the shirts and was off home before the umpires had removed the stumps from the pitch.

A great day of cricket and good to get a win on the board at last with the young blokes especially really starting to show they have the goods at this level.

Well Done!

Dane Anderson
1st Grade Captain